Monday 3 May 2010

Fun, Music and Nostalgia!

As I write my reflective piece on my practice and the internet being so accessible (duh!) I am getting nostalgia pangs. So I decide to listen to some music. I think well what have I not listened to for a long time? My choice I thought of videos were rather random! I was oddly struck by the aesthetic similarities between the Husker Du’s Could You Be the One (hardcore punks turn into power popsters) and A Guy Called Gerald’s Voodoo Ray. What was it about the late eighties and these bright colours? I like the use of abstractions here. The animations are like the work of Len Lye and Norman McLaren. Amazing! Well as one underground movement draws to a close a new one emerges!

Husker Du:



A Guy Called Gerald:




I had to include the "original" mix:

1 comment:

  1. You're a man of refined taste.
    Do like my Husker Du, shame they were always so badly produced... and Sugar too.. Remaster these classics!

    ReplyDelete